Wimbledon is the largest single annual sporting catering operation in Europe.
All catering carried out by Facilities Management Catering (FMC).
About 1,800 catering staff are required to operate these catering outlets and the quantity of food and drink served by them during the Fortnight is huge. Typical quantities are:
Facts and figures (typical quantities
- 350,000 cups of tea and coffee
- 250,000 bottles of water
- 230,000 glasses of Pimm's
- 207,000 meals
- 190,000 sandwiches
- 150,000 bath buns, scones, pastries and doughnuts
- 135,000 ice creams
- 100,000 pints of draught beer and lager
- 60,000 Dutchees
- 32,000 portions of fish and chips
- 30,000 litres of milk
- 28,000 kg (112,000 punnets) of English strawberries
- 28,000 bottles of champagne
- 23,000 bananas
- 20,000 portions of frozen yoghurt
- 12,000 kg of poached salmon and smoked salmon
- 7,000 litres of dairy cream
- 6,000 stone-baked pizzas
Strawberries and cream
- Served in punnets of not less than 10 berries + cream.
- 28,000kg consumed during the tournament with over 7,000 litres of fresh cream.
- Usually Grade 1 English strawberries of the highest quality from Kent.
- From LEAF-registered farms (LEAF is a charity promoting Integrated Farm Management balancing organic with chemical practices).
- To ensure the utmost freshness, strawberries are picked the day before being served.,They are delivered to Wimbledon at around 5.30am for inspection and hulling.
Price for a portion of a minimum of 10 strawberries and cream at Wimbledon:
| Year || Price (£) || Year || Price (£) || Year || Price (£) || Year || Price (£) || Year || Price (£) |
Public catering facilities include:
Centre Court area
- Wingfield Restaurant: waiter-served lunch and afternoon tea.
- Café Pergola: both hot and cold meals together with a wine bar.
- The Base Line Diner and Café Bar: hot and cold meals with full range of wines.
- Covered Tea Lawn: hot/soft drinks, sandwiches/baguettes, cakes and some hot food.
- The Long Bar: full range of draft beers, spirits and wines. On the opposite side are the famous Wimbledon strawberries and cream, champagne and Pimm’s bar, Dutchee sausage and freshly baked pizzas.
- The Food Village/Village Bar: traditional fish and chips, hot wok, pizza, American-style burgers, light refreshments, strawberries and cream.
- The Conservatory Buffet: self-service restaurant.
- The Aorangi Food Court: wide variety of hot/cold food and beverages.
- The Aorangi Café: Southern-fried chicken, draft beers, Pimm’s and light refreshments.