The Wimbledon Lawn Tennis Museum is an award-winning sports museum of international importance. Tours of the Grounds are run on a daily basis outside of the tournament period.
The Museum wishes to recruit a number of temporary assistants to provide support to the guides and to help members of the public during the 90 minute walking tours.
Good customer service skills are essential together with an interest in Wimbledon.
In 2013, tour assistants are required from Friday 29 March to Sunday 16 June and from Saturday 13 July to the end of September. The work is on a temporary and flexible basis, with normally a maximum of three days per week. Working days vary between four and six hours.
The All England Lawn Tennis Club (Championships) Limited is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applicants from all sections of the community. Appointments are made on merit.
How to apply
To apply, send your cv or application form and covering letter, as soon as possible to: Jill Homan, Personnel Department, The All England Lawn Tennis Club (Championships) Limited, Church Road, London, SW19 5AE. Applications to be received by Friday 15 February 2013.
Download application form
Temporary Museum Tour Assistants
To assist the guide on the tours of the grounds:
- Deal with members of the public in a friendly, helpful and polite manner with patience and understanding for those who do not have English as their first language
- Ensure that the group keeps together and that visitors do not go where they are not allowed to go
- Follow instructions from the guide in the event of an emergency
- Provide assistance when there are disabled visitors on the tour who may need to take lifts between floors or a slightly alternative route
- Help those in wheelchairs who are visiting alone
- Strive to make people’s visits as enjoyable as possible
- Provide information assistance at peak times in the shop by explaining to visitors where the tour departs from and where the various facilities relating to their visit are to be found
- At peak times talk to people in the queue about the tour and answer any queries before they reach the till
- Assist shop staff at peak times by handing over the audio-guide and explaining its use
- Check to see that CentreCourt360 is not being visited by those who have not paid to see the Museum and encourage them to buy a ticket
2. Requirements to carry out the role
- Able to accompany a 90 minute walking tour of the grounds (in all weather conditions) which involves walking up many steps, at least twice daily
- A confident and helpful manner
- Experience in customer service
- Good communication skills (in English), including the ability to express oneself clearly when dealing with visitors from overseas
- Unfailingly polite
- Ability to speak a foreign language would be advantageous but is not essential
- An interest in Wimbledon and willingness to learn
- One day’s training will be provided for successful candidates; wheelchair assistance training will also need to be undertaken. Willingness to attend a one day’s emergency first aid course would be advantageous.
4. Hours and days of work and pay
In 2013, the working periods are from Friday 29 March to Sunday 16 June and from Saturday 13 July to the end of September. Hours vary from four to a maximum of six a day. Days will start between 10am and 11am, and finish as late as 5pm in the summer.
Remuneration: £7.50 an hour paid for hours worked, on a PAYE basis. Lunch is also normally provided on site on working days.