Thursday 13 December 2012
Test your knowledge of Wimbledon and tennis in 2012 with our Christmas quiz...
1. Who served more aces during the 2012 Wimbledon fortnight, the men's champion Roger Federer or the ladies' champion Serena Williams?
2. Who beat Kim Clijsters in her last ever professional match?
3. Before Serena Williams this summer, who was the last woman aged 30 or older to have won the Wimbledon singles title?
4. Name the last player to beat Serena Williams in 2012?
5. Roger Federer's victory at this summer's Championships put him level with Pete Sampras on a modern-era record of seven titles. Who won seven gentlemen's titles during the amateur era?
6. Name the 10 different nations represented in the top 10 of the WTA Tour rankings at the end of 2012.
7. When Roger Federer defeated Juan Martin del Potro in the semi-finals of the Olympic tournament, it was the longest ever three-set match of modern times. How long did the match last?
8. Who was the only man to beat Rafael Nadal on clay this year?
9. Lukas Rosol, who beat Rafael Nadal in the second round of the Wimbledon Championships, has a tattoo on his leg. What's it of?
10. Why did a bench at Roland Garros have to be discreetly replaced during the final of the men’s singles?
11. Maria Sharapova, a silver medallist at the London Games, was the first Russian woman to do what at an Olympics?
12. Which female player said her fellow competitors should “drink more beer” and why?
13. Days after Andy Murray lost the Wimbledon final, he was a guest on which BBC comedy show?
14. Why did a number of players, including Britain’s Laura Robson, wear rainbow colours during this year’s Australian Open?
15. Jonny Marray, Britain's first Wimbledon doubles champion since 1936, has decided not to upgrade his car. What car does he drive?
16. Which man, who could be described as being “nifty with his feet”, was fined $8000 for throwing water over an Australian Open official?
17. What did the DJ play as the walk-on music before Andy Murray and Roger Federer met in the Olympic singles final?
18. In which order did Andy Murray hug the following people after his Olympics triumph - his girlfriend, Kim, his mother, Judy, his fitness coaches and his father, Willie?
19. When Serena Williams won the Olympic singles title, she became only the second woman to complete a career golden slam for singles. Who is the other?
20. Which players own the following dogs - Pierre, Rusty and Maggie, Jackie and Lorelei, Rolex?
1. Williams, with 102 aces. Federer served 71.
2. Ekaterina Makarova and Brazil's Bruno Soares (the mixed doubles came after her singles defeat by Laura Robson at the US Open)
3. Martina Navratilova in 1990.
4. Angelique Kerber, in Cincinnati in August
5. William Renshaw.
6. Belarus, Russia, United States, Poland, Germany, Italy, China, Czech Republic, Australia
7. Four hours and 26 minutes.
8. Fernando Verdasco in Madrid (though Nadal claimed the blue surface was “not really a clay court”.
9. It's inspired by the Maori haka. He also a tattoo of a serpent on his shoulder.
10. Because an angry Novak Djokovic smashed a hole in its side with his racket.
11. To carry Russia's flag into the stadium at an Opening Ceremony.
12. Andrea Hlavackova, whose family are still involved in the famous Pilsner beer company in the Czech Republic.
13. Mock the Week.
14. In response to comments attributed to Australian great Margaret Court, who expressed her belief that same-sex marriage was “unhealthy and unnatural”.
15. Ford Fiesta.
16. David Nalbandian, warming up for his Queen’s Club debacle later in the year, with some pettiness in Melbourne.
17. Massive Attack's Unfinished Symphony.
18. Kim, fitness coaches, Willie, Judy.
19. Steffi Graf.
20. Novak Djokovic, Andy Murray, Serena Williams, Victoria Azarenka.
Back to news