*Wimbledon.com uses cookies.Find out more
CONTINUE > We use simple text files called cookies, saved on your computer, to help us deliver the best experience for you. Click continue to acknowledge that you are happy to receive cookies from Wimbledon.com.

Oliver Golding shrugs off qualifying nosebleed to advance

Oliver Golding at qualifying
by Helen Gilbert
Monday 16 June 2014
An unfortunately-timed nosebleed was not going to stop Oliver Golding reaching the second round of Wimbledon qualifying on Monday.
 
The 20-year-old, who lives just a stone’s throw away from the All England Club in Richmond, served three double faults in one game midway through the first set against world No.108 Peter Gojowczyk when his nose started to stream with blood. But despite being broken he recovered to win eight games on the trot and eventually seal the match 6-4, 6-1 in a whisker under an hour.
 
“I got a nosebleed and literally couldn’t look up,” Golding told Wimbledon.com. “I sometimes suffer with really bad hayfever and think it’s something to do with that. I just stuck some tissue up my nose and carried on.”
 
Following his victory, the world No. 352 clenched his fists and looked to the sky in disbelief. He was well aware his German opponent was going to be tough – last week Gojowczyk enjoyed an impressive run in Halle before losing in the quarter finals to Alejandro Falla in two tie-break sets.
 
“I was watching a couple of his matches on TV last week and when the draw came out I thought this is going to be tough, he’s pretty decent on grass,” Golding said. “I knew if I played some of my best tennis I’d have a chance. My serve went very well.”
 
Golding barely put a foot wrong against his 6ft 1ins opponent, who struggled to find rhythm in the breezy conditions. “It’s windy and quite cold so the courts are quite slow. I think that played into my hands a little bit,” Golding admitted.
 
Earlier in the day, Brydan Klein became the first British man to qualify for the second round when his opponent Belgian Maxime Authom retired trailing 6-3, 1-0 after receiving medical treatment.

Elsewhere, the British contingent were unsuccessful in their opening round challenges. 

Bedene’s friend David Rice succumbed to 37-year-old Frenchman Marc Gicquel 6-7 (5), 6-1, 6-2. Compatriot Josh Ward-Hibbert followed him out of the draw, falling at the hands of American Wayne Odesnik 6-3, 6-4, as did Marcus Willis who lost to 22-year-old American Daniel Kosakowski 6-3, 6-3.

Edward Corrie bowed out to Australia’s Samuel Groth 6-3, 7-6 (2), Alexander Ward was sent packing by Ricardas Berankis 6-3, 6-4 and Rhyne Williams beat Joshua Milton 3-6, 6-3, 6-2.

Follow the latest news and scores from Wimbledon 2014 on Wimbledon.com or download the official iPhone, Android and iPad apps.

Back to news
Comments

Latest Photos

Buy Wimbledon Merchandise from The Shop

Live Blog

20:08It brings me no pleasure but it's time to bring the curtain down for another year. Seemed somehow appropriate to leave the last word to Roger Federer. Thanks a billion for reading. What a fortnight, what a final, fast forward to 2015 please...

20:03"I already have seven. It's not like I need another one. But it would have been awfully nice to have it. I think that's what the feeling was of the people, and I felt that... I know they love tennis. They love tennis after we're all gone."

View all
Chinese