*Wimbledon.com uses cookies.Find out more
CONTINUE > We use simple text files called cookies, saved on your computer, to help us deliver the best experience for you. Click continue to acknowledge that you are happy to receive cookies from Wimbledon.com.

Injury forces Madison Keys to withdraw from Wimbledon

Madison Keys attacks a forehand
by Matt Trollope
Monday 30 June 2014

American teen Madison Keys has been forced to withdraw from her third round match with Yaroslava Shvedova with a left adductor strain.

The match was suspended due to fading light on Saturday night, with Shvedova leading 7-6(7), 6-6.

Keys received treatment for the injury late in the second set, yet was unable to recover in time for the resumption of the match on Monday.

Keys revealed that she had felt the first hints of the injury midway through the second set. “Then I think it was the 3-2 game, I was serving. I just felt it really go. After that it was pretty painful,” she said.

“It's not terrible, not really long recovery time. But they were warning me it could get worse.

“I came in this morning and I had lots of tape on and I tried, but I couldn't get through warm-up. Decided to call it this morning ... I had so much tape on me I could barely walk. It just wasn't happening.”

Keys, a winner at the recent WTA AEGON International grass-court event, was bidding to become the first woman since Jana Navotna in 1998 to complete the Eastbourne-Wimbledon double.

She was riding a winning streak of seven matches.

Despite the disappointment of having to pull out of the event, Keys was able to acknowledge that the past couple of weeks had delivered significant gains.

“There's definitely lots of (room for) improvement. Really happy that I was able to title last week. That was a really big tournament, especially for my first one. Just lots of positives to go off of. Just have to go and get ready for the US Open Series,” she said.

“I'm definitely feeling pretty confident and pretty happy with where I'm going right now. I've slowly but surely gotten a little bit better every tournament, every match. I feel like I'm starting to really figure out my game, so definitely getting more and more confident.”

Her exit means there are no American women remaining in the draw at Wimbledon in 2014.

Follow the latest news and scores from Wimbledon 2014 on Wimbledon.com or download the official iPhone, Android and iPad apps.


Back to news
Comments

Related Photos & Videos

  • Andy Murray with a running forehand.
  • Gianluigi Quinzi celebrates his win over Kyle Edmund.
  • Gianluigi Quinzi serves on No.3 Court.
  • Gianluigi Quinzi and Kyle Edmund on No.3 Court.
  • Kyle Edmund plays a crushing forehand.
  • Kyle Edmund takes off his wrist bands on No.3 Court.
Buy Wimbledon Merchandise from The Shop

Live Blog

20:08It brings me no pleasure but it's time to bring the curtain down for another year. Seemed somehow appropriate to leave the last word to Roger Federer. Thanks a billion for reading. What a fortnight, what a final, fast forward to 2015 please...

20:03"I already have seven. It's not like I need another one. But it would have been awfully nice to have it. I think that's what the feeling was of the people, and I felt that... I know they love tennis. They love tennis after we're all gone."

View all
Chinese